I’ve written a few metas about Malia, because she doesn’t quite add up. Like you, I also think her relationship with Stiles is not romantic, and I’m not sure we can trust her, so your instincts are on the money there.
However, kudos to Davis, because he’s not made it black and white. I’m not sure Malia’s a villain either, for all that she’s a mystery.
The main things that make me sympathetic to Malia are:
- I think the pack did wrong in forcing her to live a human life. They thought they were being kind, but they weren’t. It was non-consensual and sudden, and not very well thought out. It was more bad than good.
- I think Stiles realises that, and it’s part of why he’s been taking care of her and helping her adapt. That’s decent of him, but a bad foundation for a romantic relationship.
- The power dynamic between them is unequal in some worrying ways — mainly, Stiles has the power, and Malia is emotionally dependent.
- The relationship with Stiles is not stable, and they are both to blame for it — it’s a typical first relationship in many ways, despite their supernatural issues. It started under bad circumstances, and they’ve never addressed them. Stiles lied by omission to Malia about Peter, something directly of importance to her. They aren’t negotiating their boundaries, so it often crosses over into non-consensual (eg. the scratching). Malia likes Stiles more than he likes her, and he’s fronting about it which is shitty of him.
- I also think Stiles is lying to her about his own struggles this season (ie. his spark coming online and realising he’s bisexual). While it’s true they are his struggles, and it’s up to him when he shares them, it’s not a great foundation for a relationship to keep a big thing like that hidden. Malia is probably going to feel betrayed again depending on how it comes to light.
- The fact Malia broke up with him is the first healthy sign there’s been that it will end before they do major damage to each other, and I was pleased to see she had enough agency to do it. The reunion addressed none of their problems, so I think they are still on track to end and fairly soon.
Apart from all of that, Malia is not what she seems, and I don’t trust her.
- The best case scenario is that she’s an innocent, and she’s mimicking other people as a way of adapting to her new world. This seems unlikely, as she keeps solving problems which should be beyond her.
- The worse case scenario is that she’s a player and she’s insinuating herself into the pack for some reason of her own.
- In either case, I suspect she is not “Malia Tate”. Who she is instead, I’m not sure as there haven’t been enough clues yet. But she never said she was Malia when she transformed into a girl, and she never seems to spend time with her father (Mr Tate), in contrast to all the other main characters and their parents.
- She could be a random werecoyote the pack “rescued” and assumed was Malia. As she has no other way to get on in the human world, she’s going with it.
- She could be Malia for real, plus a dark traveller who is guiding her, maybe without her knowledge. This is how she always helps people find the right answer.
- She could be pretending to be Malia, and actually be a coyote trickster having some fun with the pack.
- She could be the younger Tate sister, given the birth date Peter found, and her obsession with the doll. Although this still raises the question of why she’s not had any scenes with her father and how she’s prompting people to solve complex problems.
- She could be an imaginary person Stiles invented and made flesh while he was the nogitsune — there once was a real Malia Tate, but she died, and this invention took her place and was designed to love Stiles. Creepy, right? But she seems to be turning into a real girl now, and I hope she does.
- She could have been created by the sacrifice of Jennifer on the nemeton by Peter. She could even be Jennifer in a new form.
- She may or may not be a Hale, and if she is, might be Talia’s daughter, not Peter’s. There is no hard evidence right now she is a Hale. We don’t know for sure that only Hales can open the vault, and the birth certificate Peter found doesn’t seem to match her age. Also, Liam seems a better match for the missing Hale in several ways.
The very fact all of these are legitimate possibilities tells me that Malia is not what she seems. Whether she turns out to be actively playing the pack, or an innocent unaware of her own nature remains to be seen.
I’ve become quite fond of Malia because she’s so mysterious. I hope the big reveal is an absolute whopper!
Sterek week: Day 1 - Lyrics/Quote
Losing him was blue like I’d never known
Missing him was dark grey all alone
Forgetting him was like trying to know somebody you never met
But loving him was red
Lydia Martin Appreciation Week » Day 4: Favorite Banshee Moment
"What do you hear?"
“…the k e y.”
No, but I might at the sight of a chopped off arm!
anonymous chose: #20
Sterek week: Day three - Manips
I made this a month ago but haven’t published, so I kinda cheated..?
not all monsters do monstrous things
Dylan O’Brien at the Twentieth Century Fox Fan Screening of “Maze Runner” *
STOP IT WITH YOUR BABY FUZZ I WANT TO TILT YOUR CHIN UP AND SLOWLY AND SENSUALLY SHAVE YOU AS YOU SIGH AND YOUR EYES DIP CLOSED WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME